Thursday, September 15, 2011

One Whole Week


So last night was official my first week in España. I guess I can proudly say that I survived my first week. I´m glad because Rotary says that the first week is always the hardest. For me, it wasn't all that hard. Difficult at times, but nothing impossible to deal with. I guess it might get a lot harder because I haven't started school. I am actually excited to start school, unlike any other year of my life. I think this is because of  a couple of reasons, :

Reason 1. I still don't know a lot of people here, and I know going to school will introduce me to new people. Plus everyone knows about the new American student that will be attending their school. My host mom works at the school I will be attending, and she has been telling me that a lot of students that have gone to register have been asking questions about me... sweet!!

Reason 2. I'm slightly bored in my house. There is not really much to do besides hang out. I try to help out as much as I can, but whenever I try to help out my host family tells me ¨oh don't worry you don't have to do anything¨. This is kind of starting to bother me because in my house in the USA I am expected to help out, and do my chores. I feel like maybe I am dragging my weight. Also, I love my host family, but I feel at times my host brother Yered, can be quite..... obnoxious. I understand he is 9 years old, and when I was 9 years old I acted the same way. I feel like I have been very patient and respectful with my host family, I also know they have been more patient, and more respectful and understanding with me. So I want to start school maybe just to give the family some space I guess.

With all that said, my point is that I am excited to start school.

Spain really is a beautiful country. I have been enjoying it here a lot. Like I explained before, this city is old and what I would say antique. Everything here is smaller, the cars, buses, schools, houses, streets. Whats interesting is how much American culture influences this place. Here every one seems to know American music, TV shows, clothing, and other things in the pop culture sphere. It's interesting when I turn on the TV and Jersey Shore is on. Not that I like Jersey Shore, but as in the USA, a lot of people here like it too.  Its the same with all these other crappy MTV shows. Its kind of funny to see all of these American movies and TV shows dubbed in Spanish. Its interesting how American pop culture is shaping the pop culture of Spain too.

Well that's my week number 1 report! I am enjoying it here!

Jose









Me and Jess in the Balcony of my friend Dani's house

Jess, Rosa, Dani



Me standing next to the Palacio de Colon in El Centro





Gate to the Garden of the Alhambra








Me on the bus with my friend Ivan

No comments:

Post a Comment