Sunday, September 18, 2011

Kicken it in Spain

So today is my 12th day here in Spain, and it feels like it's been a month or more. I'm not sure why time seems to be going by so slow, but I guess it's okay because I like it here!

My first day of school was on Friday, and it was quite.... boring. I said it's boring because I had a hard time understanding what my teachers were saying, and plus the first day is orientation and it always sucks!! It was hard, and even after school the rest of the day felt kind of depressing. I had that ¨oh crap¨ feeling because I forgot that I am actually here to be a student. I don't mind being a student, its just that until now I've just been hanging out, and having a good time with my friends. I'm not worried, I think it was just a wake up call saying something like ¨get your head out of the clouds you're not a tourist Jose¨ I'm still kicking it with my friends. When school really starts getting hard I´ll just have to discipline my self, and figure out my priorities.

So how is my Spanish doing?
agh.... getting better. Getting a LOT better. There are still times where I say something but its kind of just comes out as mumbling, because I can´t really say what I want to say correctly. Other times I can really speak it well. Well enough that people don´t doubt me when I say I speak Spanish. I´m starting to feel more comfortable speaking Spanish. I definitely feel more confident with my Spanish. Let's just say I feel confident enough to talk to Spanish girls. Last night me and my friends were hanging out downtown when we saw a group of fairly attractive girls hanging out by the river, so of course my friends dared me to go talk to the girls. Now, even in America, I wouldn't have a ton of confidence talking to strangers, but me being a dare devil I went to go talk to these girls. I had no idea what to say, with my somewhat limited Spanish I was just setting my self up for failure. But I  went up there and said the worst opening pick up line of the century, and it worked! I walked up and said ¨hola chicas, estoy nuevo aqui y no se donde estoy? este es El Centro si?¨ and they all looked at me and laughed, but then it got better, and I met some new people, and I have their facebooks now! So in the end it all worked out. I have to say I did not think my Spanish was as good as it is. And I came across to these girls as a bilingual American exchange student (at least that is what I thought)
. What a combo!!!

Me taking pictures with the Spaniard strangers


I'm having fun here, good that I made the choice to go on exchange!

No comments:

Post a Comment