Wednesday, February 6, 2013

7 Months Later

I find it hard to believe sometimes that 7 months ago I was living far away from home on foreign soil half way around the world. Sometimes the whole thing just feels like some distant dream until I look at all of the pictures. I look at picture after picture, each with carrying its own memory. I think to myself "wow I can't believe I actually did all of this."

I remember when I first got back to the United States during the summer; I was absolutely miserable. I missed my friends, I missed going out till 3 in the morning, I missed my host family. The only thing I could think about was a way to get back. So I got myself a job working at the Rockies game making a minimum wage paycheck hoping that I could save up enough money to schedule a returning trip. After a while life just started to pass by and my life here in the United States began to consume me again.

Before I knew it summer had come to an end, and school had started up again. Upon return I realized that there were parts of the United States that I really did miss a lot. I actually missed my school, and all of my old friends and acquaintances. I was excited to share with all of them the new adventures that I had been on, and the things I did on the way.

When school started so did high school soccer, so I decided I would play my last year of high school soccer at North High School. During this experience I had to maintain my grades to remain eligible so I could play games. Playing on a new team, I easily integrated myself with a bunch a strangers and made an entire group of new friends. (I guess going to Spain showed me how to make new friends easily) I worked my way up to captain as our team went on to win our first 7 games. Later we had a hard mid season slump but still managed to make the playoffs and host the first game. We ended up winning in the first round then losing in the second round against Broomfield High School. We had a successful season with ups and downs, but we made it. We became the first North team in over 20 years to win and host a playoff game. Playing high school was so fun and if I could do it again, I'd be right back on that field in a heartbeat.

I guess I can say 7 months after returning home from Spain I see what direction I want to go in, I guess now I've got a plan. Being able to learn Spanish in Spain has been life changing for me. For the first time in my life I can speak to my grandparents in Spanish; Currently I am in a stable relationship with a girl I care about, and I wouldn't be in this relationship without knowing Spanish.

My main focus now  is in getting accepted into a university WITH scholarships. It would be nice not having to owe a lot after I graduate in the next 4 to 5 years. So far I've been accepted to Regis University and Metro State College. I've started applying for scholarships and I hope I get a nice chuck of money to help me out.

I remember when I was in Spain, and I felt like I never wanted to come back home, and that I wanted to live in Spain forever. Coming back to the US has made me find my place. This is home, it's where I was born, where I was raised, where my family is, but Spain is home too, because over there I have more friends, and a special family. I know that whenever I return I'll have a place to stay and people who will accept with their arms open. It goes both ways as I will open my arms and accept any of my Spaniard friends to come into my home here in the US. I think of my life in Spain as the greatest chapter of my life. Now I just keep going forward, with an optimistic future and an outstanding past. This concludes the blog of my travels in Spain; all I can say is that I can't wait to go back!

Esto no es una despedida, sino un hasta pronto. No se cuando voy a poder volver, pero cuando vuelva, sera una gran fiesta!!!!

 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jose, I know you poated this blog like two years ago, but my name is McKenna, and I will be studying with rotary youth exchange for the year 2013/2014, it will be my junior and i will be living in Murcia, SpaiI loved reading your blog, because I am nervous with my Spanish, and it helped me out A LOT!!!! Thank you McKenna Barr

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to find a company that has got a list of families that are hosting students for summer 2015. To travel the world has always been my dream and I think to start off as an exchange student would be a great place to start just so I can get a taste of what it is like to be away from home for that amount of time

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jose

    My name is Marie-Lien and I'm 16 years old. I'm living in Belgium and every year, I go on holiday to Spain with my family, close to Alicante. It's actually a very nice country, the climate is good for everyone and the inhabitants are also very friendly.

    I think you are very brave, because I'm dreaming to do the same as you, but I think I'll miss my family and friends in Belgium too hard. And I think it's also very difficult to learn the language, isn't it? In this message you say: "It wasn't difficult to make new friends.", but it seems very difficult to me. So if you can see there are a lot of obstacles for me, and that’s the reason why I'm doubting.

    But maybe it can be fun and I can learning a lot…

    Finally, I think that I'll stay simply in Belgium, and go on holiday in Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jose

    My name is Marie-Lien and I'm 16 years old. I'm living in Belgium and every year, I go on holiday to Spain with my family, close to Alicante. It's actually a very nice country, the climate is good for everyone and the inhabitants are also very friendly.

    I think you are very brave, because I'm dreaming to do the same as you, but I think I'll miss my family and friends in Belgium too hard. And I think it's also very difficult to learn the language, isn't it? In this message you say: "It wasn't difficult to make new friends.", but it seems very difficult to me. So if you can see there are a lot of obstacles for me, and that’s the reason why I'm doubting.

    But maybe it can be fun and I can learning a lot…

    Finally, I think that I'll stay simply in Belgium, and go on holiday in Spain.

    ReplyDelete