Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Little Things that still mess me up

So in Spain, obviously a few things here and there are different.. but the thing is, these different things are still confusing me. So I shall list them:

First of all the Metric System.
So when any one asks me how tall I am, I really don't know how to respond, I guess I can say "I think I'm about 175cm" because if I told them I was 5'9" no one could percieve it. I feel the same about kilometers. I'll ask someone "How far is the park", or "How far do we have to walk", and they respond by saying "about 4 kilometers", and I have to like think for a second to do the math. I really don't know how big a kilometer is, I can't like put an image of it in my head.
I will also include degrees celsius in the metric system... I still don't get it; I just get that 0 is freezing (32 degrees Fahrenheit) and 100 is boiling (212 degrees Fahrenheit).

Elevators
What keeps getting me every time is that the floor on ground level is floor zero, not floor 1. In the USA floor zero is like a parking garage, and floor 1 is ground level. Its a small thing that keeps gets me.

No street names
There are hardly any street signs, when I say this I am referring to the names of the street. You kind of just have to know what street you are on.

Military/World time
They use military time on all of the clocks... Yet no one ever says "Its 22 O'clock" they still say its "10 O'clock". But I still have to stop and think for a second to understand what time it is.

Street Lights
They exist, but no one stops at a red light... well they do, only if there is oncoming traffic.

The Date
In the USA if it was the 3rd day of February we would write it like this 2/3/11... Over here in Spain, the day comes before the month and looks like this 3/2/11.

Well these are just a few examples!

No comments:

Post a Comment